Monday, March 30, 2015

Learning to ask for help

My last post was about the joys and difficulties of raising a two year old.  This post is about one of the ways I've gotten through the tough times.  This past year I had to learn a very valuable lesson- I had to learn to ask for help.

 I am not someone who likes to admit I can't handle something.  I especially don't like admitting I'm having a hard time parenting my child.  I am always afraid that I'm going to get judged for saying "You guys...I need a break from my kid."  Why is that so hard to say?  Once I actually tell my friends that, I'm met with smiles, nods, and "Oh I've totally been there".  We all have those times when we just need to get away.  It doesn't mean I don't love my daughter, it means that maybe it's been an extra long week or month and I'm feeling overwhelmed. 

I'm blessed with family and friends who are always willing to help out.  My husband travels for work sometimes and there have been a few times when the trip falls at the same time my kiddo and I are barely crawling through the days.  My mother-in-law flew out from Ohio one of those times to keep me company and help give me a break.  Let me tell you, it was just what I needed.  She would have munchkin outside playing or working on an art project and I was able to get chores done easily.  I even took the most amazing nap! 

I was recently talking to a friend about this subject and we both admit that most of the time we don't ask for help because we don't want to be a burden to anyone.  I've offered to babysit for friends and I definitely wouldn't consider it a burden- I want to help and give them a break.  Maybe set up a schedule with a friend.  They can watch your kid while you run errands or get pampered, and then you can do the same for them. 

Asking for help doesn't make you less of a parent.  If anything, it makes you smart for knowing your limits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment